What was the theme for the project?
The theme for the project was Little Red Riding Hood and the project we did was designing our own Book Covers based on the book Grizzly & Ghastly Poems by Roald Dahl.
How have you developed your ideas? How did your work change through the project?
I developed my ideas by looking a book covers online and discussing with my peers about the ideas we had also I researched relevant photos on the internet in order to gain ideas. My work did change half way because I decided to start again from scratch but only because I knew I had enough time to start again and I am glad that I did because unlike the first time I am pleased with the final outcome.
How much reference material did you find? Do you think you should have done more or less?
Well Sir had available material that we all used however I am glad I found my own. I found quite a bit of material from the internet and I also looked at books, however I think I should have found more reference material because at points I lacked ideas whereas if I had more material that might have prevented that from happening.
What artists or designers have you looked at to help and inspire you?
I looked at Scott Campell and I have to say his work definitely inspired me, I did a double page of his work in my sketch book using watercolour.
What materials, tools and techniques did these artists use?
Scott mainly used water colour in his work, he was quite a messy artist because he painted very loosely
How have your skills developed during the project?
My drawing skills have developed because we used such a wide range of media eg, gouache, ink, charcoal, chalk etc. My skills on Photoshop and Blogger have definitely improved because I was completely new to both of them and it was the first time I had used both Blogger and Photoshop.
Are there any aspects of your studies that you wish you had explored further?
Personally I think I should have had more reference material so that I could have referred to because that will have given me a wider range of resources to gain more ideas from.
How have you used formal elements such as line, tone, colour and shape?
Yes I have, I think I have used each element. I used a variety of lines and shapes, pretty much all of my cover is hand drawn so it contains a variety of shape, but then again Photoshop contributed to the shape too.
What materials did you use, and why? Did they work successfully?
Mostly all of my front cover was hand drawn with biro or fineliner and then either left or drawn over with ink, I used some fonts from dafont.com and included them in my book cover, I think the fonts work really well and all the images gel well together and look like one main image.
What meaning and messages did you want to convey and were you successful?
My intention was to convey a friendly and intriguing message to children or younger readers. I think I have succeeded in this because I purposely haven't made it scary so it appears nicer to the buyer.
Are you happy with your final piece? Are there any elements you like in particular?
I am very happy with final piece, personally I like the house on the left hand side as it's quite inviting and the path with Little Red Riding Hood walking up to it.
Is there anything you would change? Why?
If I could change anything I would create a background to set as the background of my final piece so that the background wasn't left plain and basic.
No comments:
Post a Comment